Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI)

Unit Information

Princess Paticia's Canadian Light Infantry Badge

 PPCLI Badge

Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) is an Infantry Regiment in the Canadian Forces. The PPCLI Regiment is divided into three Battalions which serve as mechanized, light, and parachute deployable into various operations. The First and Third Battalion are in Canadian Forces Base Edmonton, Alberta, and the Second Battalion are in Canadian Forces Base Shilo, Manitoba.

Related Links

History

PPCLI was founded for service in the First World War on August 10, 1914, and paraded for the first time at Lansdowne Park, Ottawa, Ontario, on August 23, 1914. Hamilton Gault, a prominent Montreal businessman, raised the regiment out of his own funds, making the PPCLI the last privately raised regiment in Canada.

The regiment was named after Princess Patricia of Connaught, the daughter of the Governor General at the time. Princess Patricia maintained close ties with the regiment throughout her life, and hand-sewed the original regimental colour, the Ric-a-Dam-Doo, which was carried into battle in every First World War battle in which the Patricias fought. Continue reading the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry History.

Equipment

For information about the vehicles and weapons used by the Canadian Army visit our Equipment page.

Contact Us

PPCLI, RHQ
403 Korea Rd, GG Brown Bldg
PO BOX 10500 Stn Forces
Edmonton, AB  T5J 4J5

Phone: 780-973-4011, Ext. 5450
Fax : 780-973-1613

Date modified: