Canadian Army Journal (CAJ) History

The Canadian Army Journal was first established in 1947 as a professional publication to inform the Army, keep it abreast of current military trends, and to stimulate interest in military affairs. In its first incarnation, the journal was published from 1947 until 1965, when the unification of the Canadian Forces also included the abolishment of individual service journals. In the absence of a dedicated journal for many years after, the army produced a wide variety of similar publications devoted to concepts, doctrine, training, operational history, lessons learned, as well as specific branches such as the infantry. Then in 1998, the Chief of Land Staff authorized the publication of a new Army Doctrine and Training Bulletin, which ran for six volumes before transforming into The Canadian Army Journal in 2004. Since Volume 7, The Canadian Army Journal has served as the primary professional peer reviewed journal for the Canadian Army.  In 2007, the journal celebrated its sixtieth anniversary since its first inception.

Our Editors:

  • 1947-1965 Mr. J.G. ‘Jack’ DeProse
  • 1966-1998 Canadian Army Journal not published
  • 1998-2003 Captain John R. Grodzinski, CD
  • 2003-2004 Major Shane B. Schreiber, CD
  • 2004-2005 Major Ted H. Dillenberg, CD
  • 2005-present Major Andrew B. Godefroy, CD