3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

Unit Information

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Badge

PPCLI Badge

Located at Edmonton Garrison in Edmonton, Alberta, the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI) is the only light infantry battalion in western Canada. As an infantry battalion, our role is to close with and destroy the enemy.

As a light infantry battalion, we are trained to do this through a variety of insertion methods (parachute, helicopter, vehicle, boat, and most importantly by foot) and in a variety of complex terrains (e.g. urban, mountains) that would prove difficult for mechanized forces.

Related Links

Command Team

  • Commanding Officer - Lieutenant-Colonel D.D. Prohar
  • Regimental Sergeant Major – Chief Warrant Officer M.A. von Kalben

History

PPCLI was founded for service in the First World War on August 10, 1914, and paraded for the first time at Lansdowne Park, Ottawa, Ontario, on August 23, 1914. Hamilton Gault, a prominent Montreal businessman, raised the regiment out of his own funds, making the PPCLI the last privately raised regiment in Canada. 

The regiment was named after Princess Patricia of Connaught, the daughter of the Governor General at the time.  Princess Patricia maintained close ties with the regiment throughout her life, and hand-sewed the original regimental colour, the Ric-a-Dam-Doo, which was carried into battle in every First World War battle in which the Patricias fought.

 Continue reading the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry History.

Equipment

For information about the vehicles and weapons used by the Canadian Army visit our Equipment page.

Contact Us

PPCLI
403 Korea Rd, GG Brown Bldg
PO Box 10500 Stn Forces
Edmonton, AB 
T5J 4J5

Phone: 780-973-4011 ext 5500

News

Photos

Date modified: